Search for an article here

Sunday, June 7, 2009

27 and some of Savannah.

Well, it's my birthday. 27, my scary age. When I was a kid, I saturated myself in fairy tales. I didn't want to grow up, as it seemed an ungraceful and thankless business, and looked for evidence in my stories that I would never have to do so. The first age of un-innocence I found was 16, then 18, then 19. Then I found a story where the magic lasted until the main character was 21. Then 25. I never found a story that permitted magic to continue past the age of 27. That was Beauty and the Beast, the Disney version, in 1991.

That was 18 FUCKING YEARS AGO. You think I would have found a loophole to push back the date of real and actual adulthood in that time, but I was too busy determinedly not thinking about it.

So I look around myself and see evidence everywhere that adulthood started some time ago. I also see evidence of magic aplenty. I'm in Louisiana, practicing camouflage. Used to be good at it, not anymore.

Here, have some pictures of Savannah, my birthday present from my mama:

3 comments:

Honey said...

That last pictures looks a lot like me and your mother. Strange, I don't think we've ever looked alike before.

The spells over the Beast and his home, much like the spell over Snow White...that wasn't all magic ending. It was the end of a nasty spell, to be sure. After all, all the crones and witches are fairy godmothers are magic and they are quite old. Of course, to me what this read is that once you find your true love and get married-- that is when magic ends. None of the witches or godmothers ever seem to be married while our young heroines give up their life of magic of a life of happily ever after. I shall have to ponder this.

Either way, 27 is not the end of your magic. Neither is adulthood. It's just a lot harder to pay attention to magic AND the sugar bowl at the same time.

Max Cooper said...

YOU BETTER THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU POST SOME BULLSHIT AOBUT SAVANNAHH!!!!1 YOU ONLY WISH SAVANAH COULD BE YOU'RE BIRTDAY PRESENTS! IF YOU WENRET 27 I'D TELL YOU WHAT I RELAY THINK, BUT I DON'T WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE FOR YELLING AT A OLD PEROSN!!!

Johnny Attero said...

Thank God childhood is slipping behind us. I much prefer the joys of adulthood.

Savannah always seemed to me like a movie backdrop to an older South, but shoved oddly juxtaposed against the new, harsh, ignorant modern face of the New South. No matter how beautiful and classic the Southern girl is, under all that smile, she's still a Southern girl, neurosis and all.