Search for an article here

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gaelic it up. You know you want to.

Devotees will notice that to the right of this here bunch of words is a new widget, found after a series of synchronous internet searches, that will bequeath to you a new word in Irish every day. This is in honor of the swinging hoop act I am debuting tonight in its first form, a love song to Ireland itself, at the Circus of Dreams matinee. I may even supplement our mutually growing vocabulary with a word of my own now and then, learned on travels and dug out of the dusty burrows of my Irish travel notebook #1. Most if not all of these supplied by myself will have been copied into said notebook in pubs by locals I managed to convince to let me drink with them.

For example one such event, I was with a table of three Irish students who had just received a degree of some sort, this was in Galway circa 2004. Mikey, a young guy from Wexford whom later on ended up walking me the 1.5 miles to my sometime lodgings (awr) and Louise a young lady with excellent humor, and Scone, who got his name after once drunkenly asking to be brought back a treat from the store, then flying into a rage when the treat turned out to be a scone.
This particular phrase is from Scone:

Tá gach duine ar meisce. (taw gahk dinna ahr MESH-kah)

This, fittingly enough for the time, means "everyone is drunk." At least, it probably does.

I'll have something sweeter for you tomorrow.

No comments: